Thursday January 28th: Bailey sounds like she is getting a cold. You know...coughing, runny nose...all the classic signs.
Friday January 29th: Bailey has a fever of 102.8 degrees
Saturday January 30th: Bailey seems to be doing better. She is still a little warm, but seems to be recovering from her "cold." We even went to dinner with Ryan's family that night.
Sunday January 31st: Bailey was still a little warm so we decide to keep her home from church. I stayed with her and she was great all morning. She was active and seemed about the same that she did on Saturday. That night I had a meeting so Ryan took her and Carson to his parents for dinner. On my way home I called him and he said that Bailey did not seem to be doing very well, and seemed to have a hard time breathing. So that night she would not fall asleep until 12:30. I had put her in bed with us so she would be close by if she woke up again. Around 12:35 a.m. Carson woke up coughing. Ryan went to get him, but I could hear him crying for me. So I laid Bailey down since I was still holding her (afraid that if I laid her down she would wake up) and went to Carson's bathroom where Ryan had turned the shower on to help Carson breath better. I was really surprised when I walked in how bad he sounded. His breathing was really shallow, and he had cough that sounded a lot like croup. So after I held him in the bathroom for about 10 minutes, Ryan gave him a blessing. Literally seconds after the blessing was over Carson was breathing normal and wasn't coughing as often. It is amazing how fast the Lord can work, and it was so comforting to know that he was there!! I am so grateful that Ryan is a worthy priesthood holder!! Sorry...back to the story!! So I went down with Carson and watched some T.V. while Ryan gave Bailey a blessing. Later I came upstairs and laid with Carson on my floor so that both kids could benefit from our one humidifier. Bailey woke up around 3 am, and I took her downstairs so she wouldn't wake Carson up. She finally went back to sleep around 6 am. So that night Ryan and I got about 3 hours of sleep each.
Monday February 1st: Carson is much better and Bailey has taken a turn for the worst. She had a very high fever and was very lethargic. She pretty much laid on me all day. I slept with her on the couch that night and she was having an even harder time breathing that night.
Tuesday February 2nd: My mom came over in the morning and when she heard Bailey she said that I should probably call and make an appointment for her RIGHT NOW!! I was already planning on taking her in that day, but my Mom said that she felt I should go in as soon as possible. (She told me later that she was REALLY nervous when she came over, but she did not want to make me nervous!) So I made her an appointment for 10:30 am. When we got to the doctors office there were a lot of kids there so we had to wait to see the doctor until about 11. I ran to bathroom with Carson and while I was gone, the doctor came and listened to Bailey. As I walked back into the room the doctor had her stethoscope on Bailey's back, and she said that Bailey was in distress and that I needed to take her the hospital right away. She said that we should walk her over to Foothill Presbyterian Hospital (since it right next door) so that they can stabilizer her before they transfer her to a hospital with a pediatric ward. When we walked into the Emergency room the doctor called me and told me to come back because the hospital told her to call an ambulance so that she could go to a hospital that had pediatric care. So at this point I break down for the second time. I haven't slept in two days and they are telling me that I have to take an ambulance because she is too unstable for me to drive her myself. So we go back to the doctors office and about 1 minute later the paramedics are there listening to her and putting us (me and Bailey) on a stretcher. While we are in the ambulance they have her on oxygen and they gave her two breathing treatments. Below is a picture of us in the Emergency room at Queen of the Valley Hospital. This is after they have tested her for RSV, given her a chest X-Ray, given her two suppositories, and put an I.V. in her arm. My poor little girl!! Luckily she was so weak, she did not cry much, she just wanted to lay on Mom's shoulder.
Friday January 29th: Bailey has a fever of 102.8 degrees
Saturday January 30th: Bailey seems to be doing better. She is still a little warm, but seems to be recovering from her "cold." We even went to dinner with Ryan's family that night.
Sunday January 31st: Bailey was still a little warm so we decide to keep her home from church. I stayed with her and she was great all morning. She was active and seemed about the same that she did on Saturday. That night I had a meeting so Ryan took her and Carson to his parents for dinner. On my way home I called him and he said that Bailey did not seem to be doing very well, and seemed to have a hard time breathing. So that night she would not fall asleep until 12:30. I had put her in bed with us so she would be close by if she woke up again. Around 12:35 a.m. Carson woke up coughing. Ryan went to get him, but I could hear him crying for me. So I laid Bailey down since I was still holding her (afraid that if I laid her down she would wake up) and went to Carson's bathroom where Ryan had turned the shower on to help Carson breath better. I was really surprised when I walked in how bad he sounded. His breathing was really shallow, and he had cough that sounded a lot like croup. So after I held him in the bathroom for about 10 minutes, Ryan gave him a blessing. Literally seconds after the blessing was over Carson was breathing normal and wasn't coughing as often. It is amazing how fast the Lord can work, and it was so comforting to know that he was there!! I am so grateful that Ryan is a worthy priesthood holder!! Sorry...back to the story!! So I went down with Carson and watched some T.V. while Ryan gave Bailey a blessing. Later I came upstairs and laid with Carson on my floor so that both kids could benefit from our one humidifier. Bailey woke up around 3 am, and I took her downstairs so she wouldn't wake Carson up. She finally went back to sleep around 6 am. So that night Ryan and I got about 3 hours of sleep each.
Monday February 1st: Carson is much better and Bailey has taken a turn for the worst. She had a very high fever and was very lethargic. She pretty much laid on me all day. I slept with her on the couch that night and she was having an even harder time breathing that night.
Tuesday February 2nd: My mom came over in the morning and when she heard Bailey she said that I should probably call and make an appointment for her RIGHT NOW!! I was already planning on taking her in that day, but my Mom said that she felt I should go in as soon as possible. (She told me later that she was REALLY nervous when she came over, but she did not want to make me nervous!) So I made her an appointment for 10:30 am. When we got to the doctors office there were a lot of kids there so we had to wait to see the doctor until about 11. I ran to bathroom with Carson and while I was gone, the doctor came and listened to Bailey. As I walked back into the room the doctor had her stethoscope on Bailey's back, and she said that Bailey was in distress and that I needed to take her the hospital right away. She said that we should walk her over to Foothill Presbyterian Hospital (since it right next door) so that they can stabilizer her before they transfer her to a hospital with a pediatric ward. When we walked into the Emergency room the doctor called me and told me to come back because the hospital told her to call an ambulance so that she could go to a hospital that had pediatric care. So at this point I break down for the second time. I haven't slept in two days and they are telling me that I have to take an ambulance because she is too unstable for me to drive her myself. So we go back to the doctors office and about 1 minute later the paramedics are there listening to her and putting us (me and Bailey) on a stretcher. While we are in the ambulance they have her on oxygen and they gave her two breathing treatments. Below is a picture of us in the Emergency room at Queen of the Valley Hospital. This is after they have tested her for RSV, given her a chest X-Ray, given her two suppositories, and put an I.V. in her arm. My poor little girl!! Luckily she was so weak, she did not cry much, she just wanted to lay on Mom's shoulder.

Here is a better look of her I.V. That was one of the hardest things to watch them do. Because my sweet little girl is NOT so little, it is hard for them to find a vein! Luckily they got it on the first try, but they had to look in both her legs and both her arms for a while before they felt comfortable trying. This included them tying that thick rubber band thing really REALLY tight around all of her limbs, and then them rubbing like crazy to see if they could find one! NOT FUN!!!!

Well they determined that she was positive for RSV and that she had something called Bronchiolitis, which basically means that her small air was was swollen and full of mucus. After they admitted us into her room and gave her another breathing treatment and started giving her fluids through her I.V. she seemed to perk up. Her she is on Ryan's lap loving her baby!

Here is a classic Bailey face!! She does this all the time! Also note the cage that she slept in that night! Although she did sleep very well that night, she did not seem to mind when she was in there! Truthfully, she liked being in there because it was the only place she could be where someone did not have to hold her!

Wednesday February 3rd: I called Ryan that morning to see how Carson had slept and how he was doing. Ryan said that he still was not doing so good, and he thought that I should make him an appointment to see the doctor. So I set that up for 3:30! In the mean time the doctor at the hospital had come in and said that Bailey seemed to be doing a lot better, and that he would be sending us home that day. As we were getting in our car around 3 when Ryan called to say that he was on his way to Carson 's appointment. After we got to my mom's I got a call from Ryan, informing me that Carson had TWO ear infections on top of his horrible sounding cough!! At that point I didn't know how I was going to handle my kids, because I was pretty tired. Luckily, my dear sweet mother, who had been there from the moment I took her to the doctor on Tuesday said that she would take her for the night and Ryan volunteered to take care of Carson. So I was given a sleeping pill...and that is about all I remember from that night!
Thursday February 4th: Bailey wakes up and has a few bumps on her face and chest. I call the doctor and made another appointment to go see him. Her appointment wasn't until later that afternoon, and by the time we went, those few little bumps and spread ALL over her face and chest. The doctor said that she was just having a reaction to her illness and that it was nothing to worry about, but she did have an ear infection in her right ear! He also did not like the way she was sounding, and did not think she was breathing well enough, and he wanted me to take her back to the hospital. So he called Huntington Memorial Hospital and told them that I was on my way. Luckily we did not have to take an ambulance. When we got there they hooked her up to a machine to see how her vitals looked, and everything looked fine. She was still congested, but was definitely getting enough oxygen, so we did not have to stay overnight! Here is a picture of Bailey on the way to the doctors that day! If you click on it, you can see her hives better!

Friday February 5th: Both kids woke up this morning doing a lot better! Bailey had gotten a great night sleep and Carson only woke up a few times because of his cough! Overall, I think they are finally recovering.
Here is a picture of Bailey with her hives. You again have to click on the picture to get a really good look, but they are everywhere.

So I am pretty sure that was the longest post in the history of blogs!! But I am just glad that my kids are doing better! And as a side note...THANKS TO MY MOM!!! I don't know what I would have done without her. She was there every step of the way...either keeping me company at the hospital, bringing me food, taking care of Bailey so I could sleep one night, and even cleaning my house yesterday with me!!! She was so willing to help and made this very long week seem doable! So thanks for all you did for me and continue to do for me! I love you mom!!


10 comments:
Wow! You guys have been through a lot recently! I do have to say that I LOVE those little baby hospital gowns. So funny and cute.
Poor Bailey :( My kids have never had rsv but last year they both had bronchitis 4 times so the wheezy breathing and breathing treatments sound ALL too familiar to me. Sick kids are no fun, I'm glad they are feeling better!
Okay...and I thought I had it bad! Eli started climbing out of his crib at the same time Jack got croup...now they both have colds...all the while you are in and out of the hospital!...my eyes wear welling up with tears...its always happens when i hear or read about sweet babies having to go through all that hospital stuff:( But then the picture of her smiling made me laugh...and that hospital gown is too cute on her!
I thought about poor little Bailey and Carson all week as Max gave me updates. That breathing stuff is so scary. Brett and Tyler would run really high fevers and get croup - so in that steamy bathroom we would go, then outside in the cold air if the steam didn't work. They also would sometimes get a rash. So scary! Yep, you pretty much lose about a week just holding, loving and worrying about them. They are lucky to have such good parents, and we're glad things are pretty much back to normal.
Oh my gosh!! You sound like you stayed so calm! I am glad they are both doing better--- that is a whirlwind of a week... i hope you get caught up on your sleep!!
that is so scary! i hate sick kids- we had croup over christmas and i was so worried. i'm sorry you had to go through that! no fun!
O my gosh Lindsay!!! That is so horrible!! your poor babies!! I would be totally freaking out!! O and I love that picture of Bailey on Ryan's lap......too cute! I am glad they are doing better!
I had something like this happen with my little kooper...he is still on breathing machine and has always had breathing problems, they said he will have to get reconstructive sinus surg. there is nothing worse then being up all night with little one that cant breathe...its awful! poor bailey! miss you!
What an intense and stressful situation. You are so blessed to have family so close. I'm so glad that all is well.
How can you not just smile when you see that crazy grin from Bay??? She is the best and lets hope her hives are gone when she wakes up tomorrow....or that you can sleep through the night!
Post a Comment